White Chili with a Kick
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 rotisserie chicken, cut up
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) white corn, drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Salsa and chopped green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken, beans, corn, chilies, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and pepper sauce; heat through. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Garnish each serving with salsa and green onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 424 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 896mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 1, 2017
Nov 8, 2016
Love this dish! so easy!
Jul 22, 2015
Love this. I like a lot of liquid in my dishes and figure I used extra broth/cream. I didn't have the white corn (was hard to find, but am going to use when I make it again in few days as I did finally find), used rotel, slow cooked chicken breasts only, half 2% milk half whipping cream (didn't have half n half), sprinkled the pepper jack on top in individual bowls when serving (quite a bit of it) and crumbled in tortilla chips. Didn't do the salsa, sour cream, didn't have green onion. May try those options later...It's totally super! Made a lot, might want to reduce if you don't have a crowd or want to eat it too often.
Dec 23, 2014
This was fabulous! I didn't have green chiles so I added 1cup of mild salsa. It was great. Had to also add a bit more broth as I thought it was too thick.
Jan 30, 2014
We LOVE this chili! I made it just as the recipe says and I wouldn't change a thing. Delicious!
Nov 13, 2013
The ultimate compliment came to me last night when my daughter, Kelly, asked me to give her this recipe because her husband, Jeff, likes it verrrrrry much! I will be making it several times this winter.
May 5, 2013
Great soup. Only thing I changed was because a local restaurant makes a similar soup and they roast pablono (sp?) peppers and puree them, which I decided to use instead of green chilies. I'm single, but like to make my own soups, then freeze in serving size containers for quick meals. The Senior Citizens I served this to really enjoyed it. Not to hot and spicy. Just enough "kick". Oh, I also used more chicken broth than recipe calls for.
Jan 29, 2013
Instead of green chilies I use 1 can of Hormel Green Chili with Pork, I leave out the corn, and add 1 cup Pace Picante Sauce (medium).
Jan 29, 2013
One of the best White Chili recipes I have made. I did substitute Jalapenos for the chilies and left the seeds. I chopped them up and cooked with the onions
Jan 13, 2013
Substituted some chopped fresh cauliflower for the white corn (approx 1 - 1.25c) and reduced salt to 1/8 tsp. Used Northern beans. I put all of the ingredients that didn't go into the broth into the slow cooker and stirred to distribute the spices. When the broth was ready, I poured it over the dry ingredients and cooked in the slowcooker on low for 3 hours and served with oyster crackers. Hearty & delicious! Has a subtle heat.