Mexican White Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: corn chips, shredded Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in chicken, beans, broth, chilies and dry seasonings.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until heated through. Stir in cilantro. If desired, serve with corn chips, cheese and sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without toppings) : 271 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 561mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 21, 2014
Very nice! I forgot to get chickpeas, so I used chili beans that I had, but it tasted good. I also added more chiken broth, b/c 2 cups didn't seem like enough. Topped with cheese, sour cream and avocdo.
Oct 28, 2013
The cumin and cilantro do make this a great tasting recipe if you like those spices. I made it two times: once with ground pork and once with ground turkey. I prefer the pork personally. I added more salt and the optional add ins when I served it. A keeper in our house.
Oct 16, 2013
Made this two nights ago. Will not make again. Flavor was just Blech. I like a creamy white chili myself.
Feb 28, 2012
Jan 5, 2012
This is the best chili I have ever made. It is our New Years Day tradition to make a big pot of it and take it up the mountain to have after skiing.
Oct 23, 2010
I make this recipe all of the time and have won numerous Chili contests with it. Everyone always wants the recipe.
Jul 4, 2010
I made this several times each time it is more pleasing to the taste then the last. Not a hugh fan of beans so I only use one can. Best chili recipe.
Oct 27, 2009
This was fantastic--I left the cayenne pepper out so the kids would also like it.
Jul 9, 2009
Great idea for all the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving! I love to buy a large turkey and then dice and freeze portions to use later. Yum- my family loved this!