Creamy White Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Sliced seeded jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the beans, broth, chiles and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. If desired, top with tortilla chips, cheese and jalapenos.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 334 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1045mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 7g fiber), 22g protein.
Jan 17, 2020
I have made this for several years. It is definitely a favorite in this house. I'll need to double it in the future.
Dec 15, 2019
We've made this several times through the years, and it never disappoints! Also, recipe doubles well.
Dec 12, 2019
For those asking about the cream cheese, they changed the recipe online. It used to have cream cheese in place of the sour cream. I’ve made this recipe for years. I always look it up before I buy the ingredients to make sure I don’t miss anything. I search by “white chicken chili cream cheese ” to make sure I pull up this recipe. I was surprised to see sour cream now, especially because they specifically mention cream cheese in the description. I will continue to make it with the cream cheese because this is a family favorite and I don’t want to change what’s not broken. I make this close to the post recipe, but I do slow cook it on the stove with boneless skinless chicken breast and I also add cilantro when I mix in the cream and cream cheese. My picky boys love it!
Dec 10, 2019
This is the BEST white chicken chili I have ever tasted. Everyone loved it and I am asked to make it all the time. I am confused, however, by the little note at the beginning of the recipe which reads "Maybe it's the cream cheese". Am I missing something? I don't see cream cheese in the ingredients list anywhere. Sounds like it would be good, though. I highly recommend this chili!
Nov 28, 2019
I make this every year for Thanksgiving. I substitute turkey and turkey broth instead of chicken. Everyone loves it!!! If i miss a year making it, the family is complaining and wanting it.
Nov 7, 2019
Very tasty and quite simple to make
Nov 4, 2019
For those who are asking about cream cheese, it's not stated as cream cheese. The heavy whipping cream is what they are referring to when saying to add cream.
Oct 27, 2019
This is a very easy recipe that delivers excellent results. Could not get over how good it was. Will make again.
Oct 27, 2019
Where is the cream cheese that's mentioned? It's not listed in the ingredients or directions.
Oct 22, 2019
I'm confused - in the description it says "maybe it's the cream cheese". I can't find and cream cheese listed in the ingredients.