White Chicken Chili
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, drained, divided
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sliced jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook chicken and onion in oil until lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chiles, cumin, oregano and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. With a potato masher, mash one can of beans until smooth. Add to saucepan. Add remaining beans to saucepan. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Top each serving with cheese and, if desired, jalapeno pepper.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 219 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 7g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 22, 2019
This recipe was perfect. I made it in the instant pot. Sautéed first and added all ingredients. Manual 5 min. Used a 7 oz can of green chile instead of 4 oz. Used 1 tsp of cayenne. Whole family loved it. Spicy but my little kids still ate it. Served with taco cheese and a couple of croutons because I didn’t have tortilla chips.
Jul 7, 2019
I made this recipe along with 2 others for a large group and this was the favorite. I used half the amount of cayenne pepper. I also served with crushed tortilla chips.
Jun 20, 2019
Found this recipe online last night and made it tonight, following directions exactly. Delicious!! Definitely making again. Pretty easy and has a good amount of spice for my liking. It's more like a soup than chili but love it! If you don't like food too spicy then I recommend just using less cayenne pepper spice and be sure to use mild green chile. YUM!
Mar 27, 2019
I normally am a fan of Taste of Home recipes. This was my first time making this so I followed it exactly. I gave it 2 stars because this is a very Spicy dish that burned our mouths and stomachs. There should be a hotness warning like other food sites do. We could not eat it and wasted money making it. In the garbage it goes.
Feb 27, 2019
It’s my first time making White Chicken Chili. Hubby and I both loved it! Very flavorful, with just the right amount of kick. The only change I made was substituting cannellini beans because I had them on hand. A definite keeper!
Jan 13, 2019
A super easy stew but great tasting stew. My husband is not a chicken chili fan but also enjoyed this stew It would also be a great recipe to add to...like other veggies.
Dec 13, 2018
Nice, simple soup that is easy to throw together!
Jun 25, 2018
My sons asked for this recipe this morning, so I picked up a rotisserie chicken (genius!) and some other ingredients and set to work. I added fresh lime juice, used mild green chilis and kept the jalapenos on the side so the boys could choose their own amount of heat. When I served it, I sliced some ripe avocados on top of the chili and included some fresh chopped cilantro. I put out a bowl of white corn tortilla chips and watched it all disappear. This recipe is a keeper and so easy to throw together. Brilliant!
May 21, 2018
I added some lime juice and crushed tortilla chips and it turned out delicious. :)
Apr 29, 2018
Best ever! Have been making this since the recipe was first published. A little cilantro is a great garnish.