White Chili for 2
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, saute the onions, jalapeno and garlic in 1-1/2 teaspoons butter until crisp-tender. Add the sage, cumin and ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add chicken; cook and stir until lightly browned.
- In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Add beans. Pour over chicken mixture. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle cheese on each serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 418 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1243mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 11g fiber), 36g protein.
Jan 14, 2017
This is the best white chili recipe I have tried! The cumin, sage, and ginger are an excellent and unique addition. The only things I changed were to use 2 T. diced yellow onion(didn't have green onions) and lessen the Jalapeno to 1 tsp. and then added 2 T. each of red, yellow and orange bell peppers; makes it colorful as well. Delicious!
Nov 1, 2011
I have made this recipe as is time and time again and it is so good everytime.