White Chili for 2
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, saute the onions, jalapeno and garlic in 1-1/2 teaspoons butter until crisp-tender. Add the sage, cumin and ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add chicken; cook and stir until lightly browned.
- In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Add beans. Pour over chicken mixture. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle cheese on each serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 418 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1243mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 11g fiber), 36g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 14, 2017
This is the best white chili recipe I have tried! The cumin, sage, and ginger are an excellent and unique addition. The only things I changed were to use 2 T. diced yellow onion(didn't have green onions) and lessen the Jalapeno to 1 tsp. and then added 2 T. each of red, yellow and orange bell peppers; makes it colorful as well. Delicious!
Nov 1, 2011
I have made this recipe as is time and time again and it is so good everytime.