White Chili with Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, cook onion and jalapeno if desired in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, beans, parsley, lime juice and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into chili. Add chicken. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 202 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 833mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 18, 2018
I use serrano instead of jalape?os and I use 2 more cloves of garlic total of 4 cloves, also extra onions and lime.I've made this recipe many times everyone loves it, thank you , Lisa
Mar 1, 2014
This is a great recipe. I like the zip...but if you're a wimp you might cut the cayenne. Will definitely make again.
Dec 30, 2013
Delish! My husband surprised me by cooking this at home all by himself while I had to work late one night. Great recipe.~ Theresa
Jan 29, 2013
Awesome recipe just the way it is! I will definitely be making it again.
Sep 7, 2012
Simple and tasty.
Jan 11, 2010
My family loved this recipe and wanted me to make it again the next week. I replaced the jalapeno with a small can of mild green chilis. It's a quick, nutritious comfort food!
Apr 13, 2008
Omit jalapeno peppers and add instead,1 (8oz) block Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, cut into chunks