Chicken with Black Bean Salsa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- For salsa, in a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; refrigerate until serving. Combine the brown sugar, pepper sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper; rub over both sides of chicken.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Serve with salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 269 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Jul 22, 2011
I loved this recipe!! Just enough spice for me (I'm not too big on spicy)Makes alot of salsa (still had leftovers after two pounds of chicken tenders)I also added green peppers to the salsa.
Jul 15, 2010
My husband and I made this dish last night and ate it with a side of locally grown corn. It was super good, colorful and pretty, and really filling considering we ate nothing but a chicken breast and veggies. The recipe is very fresh and healthy tasting. It will be a regular in my house.
May 17, 2010
This recipe provides a good starting point to a great chicken dish. To the salsa portion of this recipe I add 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. chili powder and 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro. To the basic rub recipe I added 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. chili pepper, 1 tsp. oregano. I omit the salt. I have made this dish several time with these changes and the family loves it every time.
Oct 12, 2009
This was good, but expected it to be spicier.
Aug 16, 2009
Just finished eating this for dinner w/my husband & it was delicious as is. We had some couscous as an accompaniment.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.