Chicken Chili with Black Beans
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes10 servings (3 quarts)
- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (1-3/4 pounds), cubed
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup chicken broth or beer
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, saute the chicken, red peppers and onion in oil for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add the green chilies, garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often and adding water as necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 149 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Apr 22, 2018
So delicious; a real keeper! So fast & easy, and healthy.
Aug 28, 2017
Best Chili EVER!! I have truly never enjoyed a chili so easy and quick to prepare with such an explosion of flavor!! EVERYONE LOVES IT!
Dec 17, 2016
Recipe is delicious as is! Definitely allow more time for food prep, but well worth it :)
Sep 27, 2016
I make this several times per year. The green chilies have to go...replaced with a mix of fresh poblanos, jalapenos, serrano, and red chili peppers (3 each - diced seeds included). Fire roasted diced tomatoes work well in this instead of stewed. The spices (coriander, cumin, and chili powder) I double. Adding a little corn meal will thicken it up so it sticks to your spoon the way chili should. It borders on spicy, but my kids can still eat it. I always know when autumn approaches, because my wife will request this be made.
Jan 16, 2013
This was a very good base however needed a extra spice,cayenne, lime, beans and corn. Guess I turned chili into mexican veggie soup!I used ground chicken and boneless thighs.thanks for sharing !
Jun 5, 2011
This chili has a very good flavor but, red meat lover that I am, I missed the beef. I will most likely use this recipe again, either substituting beef for the chicken, or leaving it as is for my husband, who prefers the chicken.
Sep 21, 2010
Amazing! I prefer it with ground chicken breast and in a slow cooker so i skip the oil but it is still the best I've ever had and it's nothing but healthy.
Mar 29, 2010
Yummy! We used green peppers instead of the red because that's what we had home. Definitely a keeper!~ Theresa
Dec 4, 2009
One of our favorite chili recipes. For a hotter version, I add 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.