Chicken and Lentil Chili
I like to make a simple, hearty slow-cooked recipe at least once a week. You can mix this up the night before and throw it into the crock on your way out the door. Use hotter tomatoes and chilies or salsa if you like more zing. —Laurie Stout-Letz, Bountiful, Utah
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 can (4 to 4-1/2 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Tortilla chips, shredded Mexican cheese and sliced olives, optional
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 16 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and lentils are tender, 5-6 hours. Remove chicken; cool slightly and chop. Return chicken to slow cooker; heat through. Serve over tortilla chips and top with cheese and olives, if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; if necessary, add a little water.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 249 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 844mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Chicken and Lentil Tortilla Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.