Chicken and Sweet Potato Chili
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) plus 1-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the chicken, 2 cans broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring remaining broth to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Strain broth, reserving vegetables; skim fat from broth. Return vegetables and broth to the Dutch oven; add the sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes and cooked quinoa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones; cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones. Stir chicken into chili; heat through.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 414 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 1097mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 10g fiber), 29g protein.
Sep 12, 2016
I did not have the quinoa. I made the recipe and found it to be okay. I ended up adding cumin, lime juice and cilantro. With the flavors I added it was very delicious. I would make again with the additions.
Feb 28, 2014
We were excited to make this receipe, but it was very bland. After tasting it, we added seasonings, but still bland. We threw out the leftovers.
Nov 22, 2013
We REALLY loved this chili. Followed the recipe. It is delicious. Thank you!
Feb 25, 2012
I just loved this chili , very, very good
Jan 6, 2012
Fabulous soup! Took to a basketball tourney hospitality room and was gone in no time. Is now one of my favorite soups!
Jan 5, 2012
Great recipe! I did add more chili powder, some cumin and cayenne more for personal taste than anything. Next time I'm going to try to cut down on prep time by using boneless skinless chicken pre-cut - the broth straining, de-boning, etc. took way too much time out of my day. Definitely would recommend this!
Jan 4, 2012
Prep took me much longer than listed; after that, it all went smoothly and enjoyed the blended flavors.
Dec 18, 2011
I didn't have any quinoa, so I added a cup of frozen corn instead. That being said, I found this to be on the bland side and thought there was a lot of work for not too much wow. Everyone ate it and liked it, no one loved it. I might try it again, with the quinoa or make this as a leftovers chili from a roast chicken.
Dec 15, 2011
I thought this recipe was perfect. It has the right blend of flavors. I have shared with friends and family. A great comfort food on a cold night.
Nov 28, 2011
Love this soup!! It will be one of my regulars.