Curried Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
This chicken and sweet potato dish is a delicious combination of sweet and savory flavors. I like to add a bit more spice. Make sure to keep the sweet potato chunks large so they keep their integrity over the long cooking time. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours 20 min.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 cup apricot-pineapple preserves or 1/2 cup each apricot and pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with curry powder, garlic and salt. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes on each side. Place sweet potatoes and onion in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, top with chicken. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add drained pineapple, preserves and soy sauce to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and reserved pineapple juice until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high until sauce is thickened, 20-25 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with parsley, .
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 383 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.