Coconut Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
This throw-together stew tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen. The flavors of coconut milk, sweet potato and coriander nicely complement the chicken. A garnish of cilantro and toasted coconut adds a bit of sophistication. —Nicole Filizetti, Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cubed
- 3 cups canned coconut milk, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional ingredients: Hot cooked basmati rice, toasted unsweetened shredded coconut, minced fresh cilantro and lime wedges
- Combine chicken, sweet potatoes, 2 cups coconut milk, pineapple, onion and seasonings in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and sweet potatoes are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Stir in remaining 1 cup coconut milk. If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 365 calories, 16g fat (14g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.