Coconut Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cubed
- 3 cups canned coconut milk, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional ingredients: Hot cooked basmati rice, toasted unsweetened shredded coconut, minced fresh cilantro and lime wedges
- Combine chicken, sweet potatoes, 2 cups coconut milk, pineapple, onion and seasonings in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and sweet potatoes are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Stir in remaining 1 cup coconut milk. If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 365 calories, 16g fat (14g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Oct 13, 2019
This was a tasty and easy dish that everyone in my family loved, from grandparents to grandchildren. I followed the recipe exactly, only substituting chicken thighs for breasts. The optional toppings were exceptional, enriching the already flavorful stew. Served with sides of fresh pineapple and sliced avocados, it made for a different and delightful meal. We will definitely have this again!