Black Bean, Chorizo & Sweet Potato Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo, casings removed, or spicy bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Optional: Chopped jalapenos, chopped red onion and crumbled queso fresco
- In a large skillet, cook and stir the chorizo, onion, poblanos and jalapenos over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until chorizo is cooked. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in tomato paste. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, beans, stock and spices; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in lime juice. If desired, top with chopped jalapenos, chopped red onion and crumbled queso fresco.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 263 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein.
Jun 28, 2019
We greatly enjoyed this recipe. I used Italian hot sausage and 2 cans of mixed beans instead of just black beans. It was delicious with lime which I served on the side instead of stirring it in before serving. Never had queso fresco on chili before; it was very good! Loved the sweetness of the sweet potato, the spiciness of the hot sausage, and the smokiness of the cumin
Oct 10, 2017
A little too spicy for us, but the taste was good. Will make again and dial it back a notch. Makes a lot of chili!
Nov 22, 2016
I wasn't sure how the sweet potatoes would be in this recipe, but it was very good. I used 1/2 lb chorizo and 1/2 lb ground beef, and omitted the jalapenos. We just don't like things really spicy. The flavors were excellent. It's a keeper!
Oct 26, 2012
This chili was awesome. It has a smoky, rich flavor. I added 2 Tbs. brown sugar and 3 kung pao peppers. Substituted 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for the jalapeno peppers. Flavors were excellent.
Aug 20, 2012
OMG, this was such a big hit with my guest. I even made a 2nd batch for my vegetarian friends by substituting vegetarian bulk sausage for the chorizo and veg. stock in place of the beef stock.