Black Bean, Chorizo & Sweet Potato Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo, casings removed, or spicy bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Chopped jalapenos, chopped red onion and crumbled queso fresco, optional
- In a large skillet, cook and stir the chorizo, onion, poblanos and jalapenos over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until chorizo is cooked. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in tomato paste. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, beans, stock and spices; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in lime juice. If desired, top with chopped jalapenos, chopped red onion and crumbled queso fresco.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 263 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 10, 2017
A little too spicy for us, but the taste was good. Will make again and dial it back a notch. Makes a lot of chili!
Nov 22, 2016
I wasn't sure how the sweet potatoes would be in this recipe, but it was very good. I used 1/2 lb chorizo and 1/2 lb ground beef, and omitted the jalapenos. We just don't like things really spicy. The flavors were excellent. It's a keeper!
Oct 26, 2012
This chili was awesome. It has a smoky, rich flavor. I added 2 Tbs. brown sugar and 3 kung pao peppers. Substituted 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for the jalapeno peppers. Flavors were excellent.
Aug 20, 2012
OMG, this was such a big hit with my guest. I even made a 2nd batch for my vegetarian friends by substituting vegetarian bulk sausage for the chorizo and veg. stock in place of the beef stock.