Black Bean Sausage Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1-3/4 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and garlic over medium heat until the sausage is not longer pink.
- Add green pepper and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce and paste, water, chili powder, oregano, salt, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 282 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1222mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 27, 2017
Best chili recipe! My husband loves sausage so I tried it at home and it was a sucess. I had a casino party at the house and decided to incorporate this dish to the menu. Also, I cooked steamed white rice on the side, zero, nada, left!!! I had to share the recipe with at least 10 of the attendees! Thank you for sharing!
Nov 1, 2010
My husband says this is the best chili I've ever made. I intend to make this again in the near future.
Jan 8, 2009
Very Good..to seanson it I just used a Chili Pack..out of chili power. I also made another can of black beans..I love beans. I will make this one again.
Dec 16, 2008
This was good but it is more like a unique pasta sauce. Very much a tomato base recipe. I served this with Romaine Salad with Avocado Dressing.