Black Bean ‘n’ Pumpkin Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cubed avocado and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the next 10 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours. If desired, top with avocado and green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 192 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Oct 9, 2019
This is a fantasticly tasty recipe! I used cooked ground turkey and tri-color peppers. I also added a bit more cumin and chili powder. Served with diced red onion, Mexican cheese, and Scoops.
Apr 15, 2019
I made this today and ate this for dinner. I thought it was easy to make and it was delicious!
Oct 31, 2018
I've made this over and over. We all love it. It doesn't take the place of a traditional beef chili if that it what you crave, but I wouldn't expect it to. Wonderful recipe!
Oct 4, 2018
I changed this recipe up a great deal. First, I had half a bag of frozen home style meatballs I didn't know how I was going to use so substituted them for the turkey. Then, I thought the spice was too strong so I added another cup of broth. It still needed toning down, so I added half and half to taste. It really turned out quite well. I will just use less cumin next time.
Dec 13, 2017
Great recipe! Slow cooking is great but it can be made a lot healthier. Instead of a crockpot, I used MEC pure clay pot for this recipe. It cooked a lot faster and the flavor was all natural and enhanced. You should try that and I promise you'd never cook in a crockpot again.
Dec 11, 2017
This is one of our favorite chili recipes! I usually substitute ground turkey, ground beef, or ground venison for the cubed turkey and it tastes just as good!
Mar 13, 2017
Family loves this. I use tomatoes with green chilies to give it some kick.
Dec 31, 2016
This was good. I used steak instead of turkey and added chipotle powder. It was a nice change from our usual chili recipe.
Nov 28, 2016
Husband says it's a keeper! I found this when looking for a different recipe for my leftover Thanksgiving turkey . I used leftover mashed sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin, subbed white beans (great northern) since i didn't have black beans on hand, and my canned diced tomatoes included green chilies. It was delicious!
Nov 13, 2016
wow! wow! Wow! "Winner winner turkey dinner"!