Black Bean ‘n’ Pumpkin Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cubed avocado and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the next 10 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours. If desired, top with avocado and green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 192 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 13, 2017
Great recipe! Slow cooking is great but it can be made a lot healthier. Instead of a crockpot, I used MEC pure clay pot for this recipe. It cooked a lot faster and the flavor was all natural and enhanced. You should try that and I promise you'd never cook in a crockpot again.
Dec 11, 2017
This is one of our favorite chili recipes! I usually substitute ground turkey, ground beef, or ground venison for the cubed turkey and it tastes just as good!
Mar 13, 2017
Family loves this. I use tomatoes with green chilies to give it some kick.
Dec 31, 2016
This was good. I used steak instead of turkey and added chipotle powder. It was a nice change from our usual chili recipe.
Nov 28, 2016
Husband says it's a keeper! I found this when looking for a different recipe for my leftover Thanksgiving turkey . I used leftover mashed sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin, subbed white beans (great northern) since i didn't have black beans on hand, and my canned diced tomatoes included green chilies. It was delicious!
Nov 13, 2016
wow! wow! Wow! "Winner winner turkey dinner"!
Nov 6, 2016
Excellent recipe! The ingredients are surprising but meld perfectly. The pumpkin adds to the flavor and texture but is not really detectable, which we liked. This recipe is easy, inexpensive and my family loved it. I will be making this regularly. I made it with leftover turkey as directed this time, but will try with ground turkey at other times of the year. The only modifications I made were to use a red bell pepper because that is what I had, and I added a little black pepper.
Oct 29, 2016
I leave out the meat to make it meatless. Excellent recipe.
Oct 4, 2016
I've made this in the past and it's always good. It's nutritious and easily edible by children.
Sep 29, 2016
This is one of my favorite soups for fall winter. Sometimes I use rotisserie chicken instead or leave out the meat all together. Works great divided up in freezer bags and taken for lunch .
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.