Bold Bean and Pork Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 to 5 pounds), trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown pork in oil; drain. Add onions; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until meat is tender, stirring several times.
- Skim fat; stir in beans. Simmer 15-30 minutes longer or until chili reaches desired thickness. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 364 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1585mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 8g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 9, 2015
I used only 1/4 of a cup of chili powder the flavor was just ok but extremely gritty I have been using TOH recipes for several years this is only the 2 recipe we didn't iike
Jan 24, 2015
This recipe is incredibly delicious!!! I did cut back on the chili powder and I used half chili beans and half black beans! Wow. This is a keeper!
Feb 25, 2012
Found this recipe and used it for our neighborhood Chili Cook-Off on Halloween. It WON! So good.
Oct 11, 2010
Loved this chili, nice and hot. You may want to tone it down a bit depending on who's going to eat. My mother could barely finish half a bowl.
Dec 22, 2009
HOT! We loved it... kids ate spaghetti, but we loved it. Good flavor. I didn't know what to do with the pork as far as cutting it..I cubed it when I sauted it. Hubby wished we had corn bread rather then Best Cheese Bread(TOH recipe)