Bold Bean and Pork Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 to 5 pounds), trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown pork in oil; drain. Add onions; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until meat is tender, stirring several times.
- Skim fat; stir in beans. Simmer 15-30 minutes longer or until chili reaches desired thickness. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 364 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1585mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 8g fiber), 28g protein.
Dec 9, 2015
I used only 1/4 of a cup of chili powder the flavor was just ok but extremely gritty I have been using TOH recipes for several years this is only the 2 recipe we didn't iike
Jan 24, 2015
This recipe is incredibly delicious!!! I did cut back on the chili powder and I used half chili beans and half black beans! Wow. This is a keeper!
Feb 25, 2012
Found this recipe and used it for our neighborhood Chili Cook-Off on Halloween. It WON! So good.
Oct 11, 2010
Loved this chili, nice and hot. You may want to tone it down a bit depending on who's going to eat. My mother could barely finish half a bowl.
Dec 22, 2009
HOT! We loved it... kids ate spaghetti, but we loved it. Good flavor. I didn't know what to do with the pork as far as cutting it..I cubed it when I sauted it. Hubby wished we had corn bread rather then Best Cheese Bread(TOH recipe)