- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn (about 8 ounces), thawed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook and crumble turkey with green pepper and onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in seasonings; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce, beans, corn, tomato and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, to allow flavors to blend, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If desired, serve with cheese.
Can you freeze Black Bean Turkey Chili?
Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add a little water if necessary.
1 cup: 247 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.