Effortless Black Bean Chili
My mom found the inspiration for this chili in a slow-cooker cookbook. After a few updates, all of us love it (even those of us who steer clear of beans). We think it's even better served over rice. —Amelia Gormley, Ephrata, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 qt.)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 jar (16 ounces) mild salsa
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- Optional toppings: sour cream, finely chopped red onion, chopped cilantro and corn chips
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble turkey with onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except toppings. Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 6-8 hours. Top as desired.
Test Kitchen tips
Health Tip: Rich in fiber, folate, thiamin, magnesium and phosphorous, black beans are a smart ingredient to add to any chili!
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 242 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 868mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Effortless Black Bean Chili in Simple & Delicious December/January 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.