Spicy Beanless Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato juice, water, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin and cayenne and salt if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or to desired thickness.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 282 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 894mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 20, 2016
This chili is delicious! My picky kids love it (even with the cayenne pepper), and my husband likes it because it has no beans. I personally think black or pinto beans would be a good addition, but it is still good as is. I serve the chili with a spoonful of sour cream and some shredded cheddar cheese. I also serve it with corn bread which pairs nicely.I suggest doubling the recipe (which is what I do) if you're cooking for more than two. I also suggest using a cup of chopped onions (not 2 tbs.) and a whole green bell pepper instead of 1/3 c.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.