Spicy Beanless Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato juice, water, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin and cayenne and salt if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or to desired thickness.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 282 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 894mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 20, 2016
This chili is delicious! My picky kids love it (even with the cayenne pepper), and my husband likes it because it has no beans. I personally think black or pinto beans would be a good addition, but it is still good as is. I serve the chili with a spoonful of sour cream and some shredded cheddar cheese. I also serve it with corn bread which pairs nicely.I suggest doubling the recipe (which is what I do) if you're cooking for more than two. I also suggest using a cup of chopped onions (not 2 tbs.) and a whole green bell pepper instead of 1/3 c.