Chipotle Turkey Chili
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 can (7 ounces) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Drain chipotle peppers; set aside 2 tablespoons adobo sauce. Seed and chop three peppers; set aside. (Save remaining peppers and sauce for another use.)
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, carrots, green pepper, onion, garlic and reserved peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain if necessary. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, chili powder, cumin and reserved adobo sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the beans. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 293 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 844mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1 starch.
Jan 16, 2018
It is delicious, and this recipe is part of my weight loss secret. I make a double batch and freeze it in serving size bags to bring with me to work. The spice helps to keep my cravings in check, and I really appreciate the hot lunch during winter.
Jan 1, 2013
Received rave reviews at a holiday get-together for this wonderful dish.
Dec 19, 2012
Great flavor but a little soupy so I added 2 tablespoons of tomato paste to thicken it up a bit.
Aug 30, 2012
While this was spicy, I didn't think it was anything special. The turkey didn't add any flavor and I thought the choice of garbanzo beans was odd. Just my opinion ...
Jan 11, 2011
We loved this recipe! We added some shredded cheddar cheese to our bowl and it was even better. This chili is even better the 2nd day.
Dec 27, 2010
I made this recipe last night...and it is sooo delicious! My husband said it's even better the next day. I passed it on to my son, the cook, and reminded him to wear those gloves for the chipotles!
Mar 26, 2010
I have made this recipe twice, and have eaten it for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. I was a little worried because I don't like garbanzo beans, but let me tell you, I made it according to the recipe first and there was no need to change a thing! Love it!
Feb 12, 2010
I actually HAVE to make this recipe again. I mistakenly put the set aside peppers in the chili instead of the ones I cut up. FIRE!!!! Now I need to double it to bring down the fire! From the one bite that I could actually keep in my mouth, it was great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.