Chipotle Beef Chili
I love spicy food, so I think this chili really hits the spot. If you are sensitive to chili peppers, start out with one or two chipotles and go up from there. —Steven Schend, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds beef flank steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 to 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 230 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 668mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Chipotle Chili in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2015