Chipotle Turkey Chilaquiles
As a frugal mom, I try to use leftovers in a way that provides good nutrition. This recipe does just that and it’s also a great way for my children to learn to enjoy the flavors of their Mexican heritage. —Aimee Day, Ferndale, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 15 corn tortillas (6 inches), torn into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups crumbled queso fresco or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups turkey or chicken broth
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In batches, arrange tortilla pieces in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet and bake 6-8 minutes or until crisp.
- In a large bowl, toss turkey with onion and garlic. Place lime juice and peppers in a blender; cover and process until blended.
- Arrange half of the tortilla pieces in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with turkey mixture, beans, 1-1/2 cups cheese and chipotle mixture. Top with the remaining tortilla pieces and cheese. Pour broth over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro. If desired, serve with rice and sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without rice and sour cream): 364 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 7g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Chilpotle Turkey Chilaquiles in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.