Chipotle Chicken and Beans
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water and broth to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, cut each chicken breast half widthwise into six strips. Sprinkle with salt. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1/2 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, cumin and cinnamon; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cranberry sauce, chipotle peppers, lime juice and remaining water. Bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Add rice and beans to the skillet; heat through. Serve chicken over bean mixture; sprinkle with bacon.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 366 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 501mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Dec 14, 2012
Admittedly, the first time I tried this I wasn't sold on it. A few weeks later, we tried it again and loved it. Now I cut up the chicken into small pieces, and we eat it in tortillas. We call them cranbitos!
Oct 27, 2010
Excellent! Making again right now, love the chipotle & cranberry combo. I was skeptical at first but this is now my husbands favorite dish. I left out the bacon, tossed it all in the crock pot (made the rice separate) and used a small can 7oz of chipotle and whole can of whole-cranberry. YUM-MO!
Feb 16, 2010
Come on folks, get brave and try this! It is very good. We love it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.