Chipotle Chicken Fajitas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 4 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Place the chili sauce, lime juice and chipotle peppers in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer 1/2 cup to a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- Pour remaining marinade into a small bowl; add the vinegar, brown sugar and molasses. Cover and refrigerate.
- On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken and vegetables. Brush with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10-16 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°, turning occasionally.
- Unskewer chicken and vegetables into a large bowl; add 1/2 cup chipotle-molasses mixture and toss to coat. Keep warm.
- Grill tortillas, uncovered, over medium heat for 45-55 seconds on each side or until warmed. Top with chicken mixture, tomatoes, cheese and remaining chipotle-molasses mixture.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 748 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1966mg sodium, 113g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Aug 27, 2014
Yeah, so good. Could almost double the meat and veggies for how much sauce it makes.
Jul 8, 2013
These were excellent. Cooked everything inside in a pan and simmered in 3/4 of the sauce at the end. Left out tomatoes and added garlic and cilantro. Definitely a keeper.
Jun 6, 2013
Apr 27, 2013
These are delicious. I took the other reviewers' advice and cut the chipotle peppers down to 3 instead of 4. I also didn't have time to skewer everything and cook on the grill, so I just cooked it in a large pan like stir-fry and it turned out delicious. I think the sauce could have been cut in half since there was a lot of liquid in the pan by cooking it this way. Will definitely make again.
Aug 23, 2011
loved it.. took advice from others used less peppers...just the right balance of sweet and heat..
Apr 17, 2011
I like spicy but this was just way too hot. If I ever make it again I would probably add only two chipotle peppers. It almost taste like BBQ with a bite.
Jul 8, 2009
The Sauce would be great on a brisket.
Jul 8, 2009
Definitely a keeper, too hot for my Mom and youngest son. Loved it myself though.
Jun 18, 2009
Followed the recipe, but cooked inside and added sliced jalapeno's to the chicken. These were delicious. Thinking the leftover chicken would be great on a salad with tomatoes, black beans, corn and avocados.
May 14, 2009
These were easy to make and my whole family really enjoyed them. They were a bit too spicy for us, so next time I make them I will add the chipotle peppers one at a time until it's right.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.