Cranberry Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas
Whether canned or homemade, cranberry sauce delivers a healthy dose of vitamins to this dish. A little bit sweet, a little bit smoky, these enchiladas are a delightful way to use leftover chicken or turkey. —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups salsa, divided
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 whole wheat tortilla or flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine chicken, beans, 3/4 cup shredded cheese, 2/3 cup cranberry sauce, sour cream, 1/2 cup salsa, green onions, cilantro, chipotle peppers, cumin, chili powder and pepper. Place 3/4 cup turkey mixture off center on each tortilla. Roll up and place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, seam side down.
- Combine the remaining salsa and cranberry sauce; pour over enchiladas. Cover and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes longer.
- Make-ahead option: Cover and refrigerate unbaked enchiladas overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover dish with foil; bake as directed, increasing covered time to 35-40 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes longer.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 enchilada: 368 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 6g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry chipotle chicken cheese enchiladas in Simple & Delicious December/January 2019