Easy Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces each) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper and jalapeno in oil until onion in tender. Stir in chicken. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Add broth, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Add 1 cup on the sauce to chicken mixture. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken mixture on each tortilla; roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until sauce is bubble. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 850 calories, 41g fat (18g saturated fat), 186mg cholesterol, 1718mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 56g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 13, 2012
Love it. I was looking for a very good recipe without a cream of chicken and I have found it! This is very tasty. I used very little jalapeno pepper. I used Colby Monterey Jack cheese. And I used Organic Better That Bouillon to make my own broth it is more healthy and not that expensive (for example 6.49 $ for 8 oz in Safeway but it lasts long time), you can use your own water from meats and mix the Bouillon in it that will make your recipe more tasty.