Jalapeno Chicken Enchiladas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 40 min.
Makes2 casseroles (5 servings each)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 4 cups sour cream
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 20 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- In each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes, spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, jalapenos, onion salt and pepper. Stir in chicken and 2 cups cheese.
- Spread about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in prepared dishes. Top with remaining tomato sauce; sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake one casserole at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Cover and freeze remaining casserole for up to 1 month.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake, covered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until edges are bubbly.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 751 calories, 38g fat (21g saturated fat), 152mg cholesterol, 1405mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 14, 2012
This was the first recipe I tried form the TOH freezer cookbook. DELISH! I made a single batch and didn't have sour cream so I used 2 cups of Mayo instead. Definitely a new family favorite and will double it next time and freeze.
Jul 6, 2012
I used green chilis and sweet red pepper in place of thejalapenos.I also used diced onion.Delicious!
Mar 3, 2012
These are yummy. It also freezes well.
Oct 25, 2011
Very creamy and good! I made these for my husbands birthday and instead of freezing a batch, I made both and it was more than enough for a crowd! I didn't put the jalapenos in because my kids won't eat them, but it does need something. I will try the salsa verde that the other poster mentioned next time.
Aug 11, 2011
This is so great! We have made it several times since it was first published. Sometimes, when I'm in a hurry, I use salsa verde (the green kind) instead of the jalapenos. WONDERFUL!!!
Feb 17, 2011
I have made this recipe many times and it is so incredibly delicious. The only thing I did differently was to make an enchilada sauce to pour over top instead of using tomato sauce.
Nov 10, 2010
One of my favorite dishes to make! I somehow get four 9x13 dishes out of this just from this recipe and I put two in the freezer! It's great! Always a hit with the family!!
Jul 19, 2010
This is an awesome recipe. I have been making this one for years. Depending on the peppers you add, you can adjust your preferred heat. We like the hotter the [email protected]! Its so great to have one in the freezer for a another night- or drop in guests!
Jul 5, 2010
easy wonderful dish- one of my favorites. I frequently cook chicken breast to freeze for casserole dishes, it makes this even faster!
Dec 15, 2009
This was an awesome dish! When it first Came out of the oven it was almost runny, so I'd let it sit before you serve it. Great reheated. I didn't get much heat from The jalapeños so I may tweak this next time.