Honey-Lemon Chicken Enchiladas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) green enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Sliced green onions and chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Pour 1 can enchilada sauce into a greased microwave-safe 11x7-in. dish. Place 1/4 cup chicken mixture off center on each tortilla. Roll up and place in prepared dish, seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce.
- Microwave, covered, on high 11-13 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. If desired, top with green onions and tomatoes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 enchiladas (calculated without optional toppings) : 349 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
May 21, 2018
I've made this for several years and my family LOVES it. So easy! The only thing I've changed is that I use taco seasoning instead of chili powder for a more Mexican flavor. So Yummy!!
May 5, 2018
I can't get the canned enchilada sauce where I live. What's a simple way I can make it?
May 21, 2017
It's hard to find Mexican food that's not over spicy just savory. I loved this recipe. Mexican flavor that doesn't kill your taste buds. ??
May 18, 2017
Love this recipe & have made it for years. I use the filling for quesadillas also. They are delicious with pepper jack cheese.
Jan 5, 2015
Outstanding with lime juice! Ridiculously easy. My husband LOVED these. I added a can of black beans to the mixture to make them healthier and more filling. I will definitely make again!
Nov 12, 2014
My hubby LOVES honey and enjoyed this dish. I'm not sure the recipe goes into the 'keeper' category, but as I've never tasted enchiladas like these, it was great twist on a traditional favorite!
Sep 23, 2014
These are not a traditional enchilada but a fun spin with a touch of honey to sweeten things up. Don't be afraid to give them a try. Reduce the honey if you're nervous about the sweet reviews, give the sauce a taste. You can always add more if you like the flavor.
Sep 22, 2014
This was way too sweet for us!! I made it as a casserole, layering the tortillas, chicken, cheese & sauce. With a healthy dose of hot sauce it was good, a nice mix of spicy/sweet.
Aug 30, 2014
I followed the recipe , but I'll use less honey next time. It was good, though a bit sweet for us.
Aug 29, 2014
I made this as tacos, per the suggestion in the recipe, but the chicken filling was oddly sweet and chili powder flavored. My husband and I liked it OK, but the kids turned up their noses at it. Perhaps it would have been better as enchiladas, with the green salsa to further complement the flavors?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.