Hearty Chicken Enchiladas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + simmering Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (2 servings each)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the chicken, enchilada sauce and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a meat is tender.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Reserve 1-2/3 cups cooking juices. Pour the remaining cooking juices into a large bowl; add the beans and shredded chicken. Coat two freezer-safe 8-in. square baking dishes with cooking spray; add 1/2 cup reserved juices to each.
- Place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in prepared dishes. Pour remaining reserved juices over top; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and freeze one dish for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second dish at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is lightly browned. Serve with sour cream if desired.
- To use frozen enchiladas: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 577 calories, 20g fat (4g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 1541mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 8g fiber), 46g protein.
Nov 16, 2015
love this recipe....
Jun 21, 2015
Easy to make and delicious!
May 30, 2015
Simple but impressive. I've made this dish a dozen times without changing anything and have received rave reviews. I like to make it for friends who need a meal because it's quick and easy to cook for his/her family and my own while yielding left-overs too. People tell me their kids also like it (as does my own daughter). Oftentimes I've frozen half of the meal as directed and reheated it with terrific results. This dish is BIG on flavor, despite its short list of easy-to-find and inexpensive ingredients. It's called "hearty" for a reason: its super filling. My husband and I can only eat two each. It's not spicy or complex - which might explain why kids like it as much as their parents (I'm sure you turn up the heat to suit your taste). Overall, this recipe is a solid workhorse that I'm proud to serve my family and others.
Oct 14, 2014
These were a nice, light chicken enchiladas recipe. They didn't leave us with a heavy feeling. Not very appealing to the eye, but tasty.
Mar 2, 2014
I tried this recipe today and it was very good. It fed four of us and we have enough left for lunches. It could have been more spicy.
Sep 15, 2013
This recipe was really good! I didn't use all of the juice though because as I was adding it to the chicken mixture I was worried there might be too much. You can just eyeball it and tell when you've used enough. Overall, it tasted great! It was surprisingly filling too. Four enchiladas was plenty for my husband and I with a pot of chipotle rice to go along with them.
Apr 15, 2012
This is delicious! I made it as one, large main course in a 13" x 9" pan, rather than two smaller courses in 8" pans and it worked great. I used whole wheat tortillas to make it a bit healthier, and they tasted very good. Will definitely make again!
Dec 11, 2011
A keeper! Easiest enchilada recipe ever and low cal (depending on your helping of cheese and sour cream). So easy that I'll try to make my own enchilada sauce next time. Earth Fare only had the green sauce. So I bought it and my family loved it. Even my 20 month old ate it, chilis and all. I also used chicken tenders instead of breasts only because they were a little cheaper. I would say the servings is closer to 4-5. Unless 2 adults and 4 kids are eating all 8 servings.
Oct 23, 2011
Came out a bit juicy--will use less enchilada sauce next time, but the flavor was great! Also, will probably use larger tortillas next time. The little ones were a bit tricky to fill neatly.
Oct 23, 2011
I used corn tortillas's and added green enchilada sauce w/the red during the cooking process. Added green enchilada sauce to the final plating for an additional snap of flavor. AWESOME! Best enchilada's we've ever had. Will certainly make mucho times to come.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.