Chipotle Chicken with Spanish Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve Spanish rice
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Stir in beans, salsa and chipotle pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6-8 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into chicken reads 170°.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions. Serve chicken with beans and rice; sprinkle with cheese and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 578 calories, 23g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1638mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 32g protein.
Nov 13, 2018
This was simple and relatively quick to prepare. Hearty, tasty and economical with enough of a Mexican bent to appeal to us. Did not use 2 boxes of rice (!!) and had more than enough with one. Have been trying to find a recipe that will help me like boneless, skinless chicken thighs more...this didn't quite do it for me but the family thought it was a great Monday night dinner.
Jan 24, 2017
Very good! I had to change up the recipe. I'm sorry. I have wimpy family members that will not eat spicy, so I had to tone this down. I am sure I would have loved it as written, but for the people that like milder dinners, here goes. I replaced the poblano chili with a can of Ortega 4 ounce diced mild green chili peppers. I didn't have Mexican cheese blend, but I had Colby Jack that I shredded. Only did one box of Near East (the best) Spanish Rice Pilaf, since we aren't big rice eaters. I will make this again!!! For those of you who complain that people rate recipes that they have changed, this was done because I knew my family wouldn't eat it as written. I would have, but they won't!!!!
Jun 13, 2016
Made this last night. Didn't change anything. Will definitely make this again. I used the Spanish Near East Rice. Heat was just right, but next time I might add a little more. We like spicey. Great Recipe!!
Jan 21, 2016
Simple ingredients and execution add up to a good quick preparation meal. I like it as a work day lunch.
Dec 30, 2015
Absolutely fantastic! Would not change a thing. Spice level was just right.
Nov 30, 2015
Way too hot. I was so excited to make it, and I tossed it all.
Aug 12, 2014
Love the smokiness that the Chipotle gives this chicken and thighs are my favorite cut. Love that it is super easy to whip up. Worth giving it a try.
Apr 15, 2014
Loved this recipe. My husband and I aren't fond of black beans plus I had several cans of pinto beans so I used them instead and this was delicious. I've never cooked with chipotle peppers before and I wondered whether just the one was going to be enough but the heat was perfect and the smoky flavor from the adobo sauce was wonderful. I served it with a salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and bell pepper, which was a very refreshing, cooling accompaniment. I will definitely be making this one again, and again.
Mar 18, 2014
Very good and very simple