Turkey Mole Tacos
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 ounces 53% cacao dark baking chocolate, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup lightly salted mixed nuts, coarsely chopped
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, celery, green onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, red peppers, chocolate, chili powder, cumin, salt and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat; stir in nuts. Place about 1/3 cup filling on each tortilla. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 369 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Apr 15, 2015
Delicious and easy to make. I substituted half a chopped red bell pepper for the jar of sweet peppers. We garnished ours with no-mayo cole slaw. Yum!
Jun 21, 2014
These tacos are absolutely delicious. So unusual and yet very easy.
May 1, 2012
this was absolutely fantastic - loved the texture of the crunchy nuts and the subtlety of the chocolate. I added a little garlic powder and jalapeno powder, plus topped them with homemade pico and guac, but otherwise no changes. definitely will make it again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.