Chipotle-Black Bean Chili
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: shredded Monterey Jack cheese, reduced-fat sour cream, minced fresh cilantro and lime wedges
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce and garlic. In another bowl, combine the beef, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker; add the beef. Top with remaining tomato mixture. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with toppings of your choice. Freeze option: Before adding toppings, cool chili. Freeze chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Sprinkle with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups (calculated without optional ingredients): 343 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Feb 9, 2017
This was really good. Good flavor and we liked the spice.
Oct 17, 2015
My family and friends love this chili. I have easily made it over a dozen times. Quick to put together, freezes well and is great leftover in lunch boxes. We like heat so I add an additional chipotle pepper.
Oct 11, 2012
This recipe is very tasty when made as stated! If you like a lot of heat, then add more chipotle peppers. My kids prefer less, so I cut down on them when making this. For something different, I sometimes brown polenta slices with a little olive oil or butter and use as a garnish along with cheese and sour cream. It's also good with the stew simply ladled on top of the fried polenta.
Sep 24, 2012
Great flavor! I did spice it up a bit by using black beans with diced jalepenos (I may cut that down next time though to 1 can reg, 1 can w/ jalepeno)! Served w/ homemade chili lime tortilla chips!
Mar 22, 2012
This recipe is very easy to make. My family loved this chili so much they want me to make more and freeze it for lunches. I used extra lean ground beef in my chili as that's what I had on hand. I cooked the beef first before I added it in the slow cooker.
Mar 9, 2012
Loved it! My kids aren't big fans of beans, so I used a 4# roast and the kids ate the meat and loved it.
Oct 28, 2011
The meat was very tender. It could have been spicier, but it had good flavor and was great with a little sour cream and cheese on top!
Sep 7, 2011
This is fantastic.
May 19, 2011
This was my first time making homemade chili, without those prepackaged mixes. The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce gave this the best flavor, and quite a kick! Everyone loved it, this one's a keeper.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.