Chipotle Chili Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 6 kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Pickle slices, optional
- Preheat broiler. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper and, if desired, jalapeno over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in chili sauce, water, chipotle peppers, brown sugar and mustard; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lightly spread cut sides of rolls with butter; arrange on a baking sheet, buttered side up. Broil 3-4 in. from heat until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds. Fill with beef mixture and, if desired, pickles.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Prepare sandwiches as directed.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 313 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 25, 2020
These were soooo good. My husband and I devoured them and I’m excited to have leftovers tomorrow!!! Really easy to make and the flavors came together so well. I think this will become a staple.
Jan 25, 2017
This recipe was great!!! My whole family loved it!!! Easy to make and tons of flavor!!