West Coast Snappy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup soft sun-dried tomato halves (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: Chopped avocado, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted peppers, jalapenos, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, steak seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 288 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
May 3, 2016
Great sandwich! Tons of flavor - whole family loved it!
Sep 12, 2015
We enjoyed this different take on sloppy Joes. We definitely thought it was much better with avocado, cheese and sour cream.
Jul 6, 2014
Nice twist on the normal sloppy joe. Tons of flavor!