Chili con Queso
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes24 servings (2 tablespoons each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Chopped tomato and sliced jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute onion and garlic until tender. Add chilies; cook and stir 5 minutes. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; gradually stir in cheeses, adding in small amounts and allowing cheese to melt between additions. Serve warm with chips. If desired, top with tomato and jalapeno.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 95 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 18, 2018
This recipe has been around for more years than I care to say. I am happy you are so happy with it. I believe there are many variations. I have one i prefer, but thank you for submitting it!
Dec 30, 2017
I was disappointed with this recipe. Much too thick and gooey. I added more milk to thin but still was not a good dipping consistency.
Jun 19, 2017
My 12 year old son made this yesterday for his Dad for Father's Day. Rave reviews all around.I did not use whole can of chilis and added a little more milk for consistency but the flavor was outstanding! Thanks for sharing!
Jan 15, 2017
I reduced the milk so it would be thicker. Overall I thought this had a unique and delicious flavor.
Dec 12, 2015
different & good
Jan 13, 2013
Also reducing the milk amount will help the watery-ness. Good flavor though!
Jan 13, 2013
A bit too watery. Drain the chiles if possible and cut the butter to 1 tbsp. this may help. Otherwise very tasty. Could use Rotel instead of the chiles or add some chopped jalapeño to add the kick you want. Very nice and open to customizations which is nice. Will definitely try again come Superbowl time.