Chili con Carne
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat oil; saute onions until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the green pepper, salt, chili powder, cayenne, cinnamon, cumin and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring until combined.
- Add tomatoes and browned beef. Stir in bouillon and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour. Add beans and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 268 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 835mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Jan 18, 2018
Oh my Goodness!! I made this chili tonight and it was off the chain. I followed the recipe just as written with one small change. At the end after adding the kidney beans, I let it simmer for another 30 minutes. After that I turned it off and let it sit for about two hours (to let all of those flavors meld together). When I came back to try it, it was off-the-charts good. This is now my go-to home-made-from-scratch chili recipe. Perfect for a cold winter day or any day for that matter. Thanks for a great recipe.
Nov 25, 2017
you were doing okay until the cinnamon and lost it altogether with the beans. In Texas chili is meat and gravy. NOI BEANS. If you want to make it right ditch the hamburger and get some shredded sirloin. That is Texas Red!!,
Sep 11, 2016
This is a great recipe. I added diced jalapenos, a second can of beans and cooked it in a crock-pot. The smell and taste was amazing. Would highly recommend this recipe.
May 20, 2016
Not my favorite chili recipe. Cinnamon was overpowering, even though it was such a small amount. I added garlic powder to the dish with the minced garlic as well.
Feb 25, 2016
I just made this and its on the list to make it again at a later date.
Nov 11, 2013
I love this Chili Con Carne. I think this not Texas Chili. Texas chili is not called Con Carne. Too bad some people don,t know the difference. I like it both ways.
Sep 12, 2013
justjinn, It's called Chili con Carne... "Chili with beans"!!
Sep 12, 2013
No beans in Chili! The Texas Food God will strike you down .
Oct 28, 2012
Its the perfect Chili!! I added more Beans the second time.
Jul 27, 2010
I used ground turkey, chicken and vegetable broths instead. Delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.