Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 pounds boneless pork, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 to 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- Flour tortillas, warmed
- Minced fresh cilantro, opitonal
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 pound of pork; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining meat, adding more oil as needed. Return all of the meat to Dutch oven.
- Sprinkle flour over meat; mix well. Add the chilies, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, cilantro, salsa verde and broth. Cover and simmer until pork is tender and chili reaches desired consistency, about 1-1/2 hours. Serve with tortillas.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled chili in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 404 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 48g protein.
Mar 26, 2017
Flavor pop struggles. Please do not confuse this with hot and spicy. I am not a [email protected] fan. I will use this next time sans broth. Good base but I will sub flour with a smaller amount of masa @the end of the cook.
Jan 27, 2015
Regarding Tamara's review- what you conceive of as "chili" is not chile verde. Chile verde never has beans in it. (although most chili purists would say the same about chili). This recipe is a shortcut version -not the real deal,but can be used as a quick base with a many additional seasonings added in. I went ahead and did a New Mexico style Green chile stew with potatoes. I do like using the crock pot for making sure the pork is tender and infusing flavor. Hatch roasted green chiles are a must! Buy them in season, roast and freeze for use later.
Jul 29, 2014
My chilil verde recipe is very time consuming and I wanted something easy. This was easy and tasty. I did use green enchilada sauce for half the chicken broth.
Jun 29, 2013
Very tasty. However, chili just isn't chili unless it contains beans. I added red kidney beans to complete the meal, only because I didn't have pino beans. This one is a keeper!!
Jun 29, 2013
Very tasty. However, chili just isn't chili unless it contains beans. I added red kidney beans to complete the meal. This one is a keeper!!
Dec 24, 2010
I initially made this recipe because I was testing recipes for a chili cookoff. While I didn't use it for the cookoff, it is one of our favorites. My husband loves it. And you can spice it up if you want. This one is definetely a keeper!! Also goes good with the "quick" Spanish rice recipe on ToH. Basically calls for minute rice and salsa.
May 6, 2010
Excellent!! Everyone at home loves it!!
Mar 19, 2010