Fresh Salsa Verde
This flavorful salsa is delicious with tortilla chips, but it's also great served on tacos and grilled meats. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
- 3 to 4 serrano peppers, stems removed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In an ungreased skillet, cook tomatillos over medium heat for 10 minutes or until tender and browned, turning frequently. Cool on a wire rack. For a milder flavor, remove veins and seeds from serrano peppers; finely chop peppers.
- In a food processor, combine the tomatillos, peppers, onion, 2 tablespoons cilantro, garlic and salt; cover and pulse just until mixture is coarsely pureed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Refrigerate until serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Salsa Verde in Taste of Home's Mexican Recipe Cards
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.