Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes12 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Discard bay leaves. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 236 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 1240mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 6, 2014
Love the flavor - the recipe is heavy on Italian seasonings so we put the chili over noodles (Cincinnati style) and loved it. Will make again.
Oct 16, 2014
Fallowed all directions and didn't like it
Mar 16, 2014
Will make again!
Oct 29, 2013
I used venison chop meat, only 1 can of tomato sauce, added some garlic and onion powder, cumin, and some extra of the spices called for. It was delish!!
Feb 3, 2012
I also added 1 rounded tablespood cumin and some red pepper to taste, depending on how hot you like it. At this point I remove about half of the chili for those who don't like it too hot.
Jan 16, 2011
I used 3 cans of kidney beans and only 1 can of tomato sauce. I also substituted a 48 oz. can of V-8 for the stewed tomatoes and water. This is good...and spicy!
Oct 19, 2010
Making it for the second time tonight!! Outstanding taste, lots of great spices that blend together perfectly! We actually replace the beef with ground turkey. Highly recommend!
Aug 3, 2010
This will be my second time making this chili. My husband absolutely loves it, and he's an astute chili critic!
Feb 19, 2010
Have made more than a couple of times....very tasty
Aug 13, 2009
my husband loves this chili....it has a wonderful flavor and is very hearty!