Spiced Apple Chili
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: shredded white cheddar cheese and diced red onion
- In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble beef with onion over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Add tomato paste, spices and garlic; cook and stir over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and broth until blended. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until apples are tender and flavors are blended, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 284 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 945mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein.
May 21, 2020
Mo - EXCELLENT; Don - VERY GOOD
Jan 26, 2020
This recipe is amazing! Hubby and I were pleasantly surprised at how well the apples complimented this chili. A new favorite and something we will definitely be enjoying again!
Oct 5, 2019
I'd made this recipe back on 5/8/2019 and kept to the recipe directions. This is a 5* recipe!
Oct 7, 2017
This was an amazing chili recipe. It was definitely a change from my classic chili with tomato juice. I LOVED the beef broth and apples in it.
Oct 7, 2017
Wow! This chili is delicious! I was unsure whether I would enjoy the taste of the apples, but I'm a convert!!! Not only did they taste delicious, they thickened the chili as they cooked down. I did two this differently. I used 93% ground turkey, and I added some tri-color bell peppers. I greatly enjoyed the taste of the cinnamon and apple cider vinegar in this recipe; they gave it a je ne sais quoi background note. The paprika added a terrific smoky taste. I will definitely put this recipe in my keeper file!
Sep 3, 2017
Apples are a fun addition to this chili, and the smoked paprika is great too!
Aug 4, 2017
I was already in the mood for Chili when my new Simple & Delicious magazine showed up in my mailbox... and I just happened to have apples on hand. I cut the recipe in half, made no other changes, and, Foodies, I heartily declare this very worthy of being the Grand Prize winner in Souper Stars contest. Bravo !!