Spiced Apple Oatmeal
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup refrigerated vanilla dairy creamer
- Chopped pecans and additional milk, optional
- Mix first eight ingredients. Place apples in a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. Top with brown sugar mixture, then with oats.
- Whisk together eggs, water, milk and creamer; pour over oats. Cook, covered, on low until oats are tender, 4-1/2 to 5 hours. If desired, serve with pecans and additional milk.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 290 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 16, 2018
I tried the recipe as it read then modified it a little by adding 1/2 cup of raisins, I placed parchment paper baking cups in muffin pans then filled with the oatmeal then I froze them, When you want one just place in a glass bowl and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, instant breakfast. this is the best recipe that I've found yet. Awesome and delicious
Nov 1, 2017
I really wanted to like this recipe and I'm sure most will. It is healthy which is a great. I came up with another recipe last year that is very similar; however, mine has less oats. I think that is what I didn't like in this one: the apple/oat ratio needs to be tweaked for me.