Spiced Apple Oatmeal
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup refrigerated vanilla dairy creamer
- Chopped pecans and additional milk, optional
- Mix first eight ingredients. Place apples in a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. Top with brown sugar mixture, then with oats.
- Whisk together eggs, water, milk and creamer; pour over oats. Cook, covered, on low until oats are tender, 4-1/2 to 5 hours. If desired, serve with pecans and additional milk.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 290 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Apr 16, 2018
I tried the recipe as it read then modified it a little by adding 1/2 cup of raisins, I placed parchment paper baking cups in muffin pans then filled with the oatmeal then I froze them, When you want one just place in a glass bowl and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, instant breakfast. this is the best recipe that I've found yet. Awesome and delicious
Nov 1, 2017
I really wanted to like this recipe and I'm sure most will. It is healthy which is a great. I came up with another recipe last year that is very similar; however, mine has less oats. I think that is what I didn't like in this one: the apple/oat ratio needs to be tweaked for me.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.