Fruit & Nut Baked Oatmeal
In this part of the Midwest, baked oatmeal is a Mennonite speciality. My daughters are always delighted if we have leftovers for them to take home.—Fancheon Resler, Albion, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Additional 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. Mix oats, baking powder and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk, brown sugar and oil until blended; stir into oat mixture. Fold in apple, cranberries and walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until set and edges are lightly browned, 35-40 minutes. Slice; serve with milk.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled individual pieces on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to freezer containers; return to freezer. To use, microwave each piece on high until heated through, 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 816 calories, 41g fat (5g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 106g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 8g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as B & B Baked Oatmeal in Breakfast & Brunch 2016 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.