Spiced Oatmeal Mix
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 8 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups chopped mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- To prepare oatmeal: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup. In a deep microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/2 cup oatmeal mix and 1 cup water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring every 30 seconds. Let stand for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 210 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Jul 17, 2017
My family absolutely enjoyed this. I used dried cranberries in place of the dried mixed fruit.
Feb 25, 2012
too much sugar for me, I had to add extra oats to each bowl so it wouldn't be too sweet. That said, I like the idea of making "instant" oatmeal and will make it again w/maybe half the sugar.
Feb 17, 2012
I will never purchase instant oatmeal again. My family loves this! I add a good 2 cups of dried fruits and add a handful of sliced almonds. Delicious, healthy and easy quick breakfast.
Oct 20, 2010
This is a great mix to have around. I substitute Splenda for the white sugar to cut the calories a little. And it lasts WAY longer than 1 month!
Feb 6, 2010
The bits of dried fruit turn out as nuggets of sweetness in this oatmeal! Great way to spiff up regular oatmeal. Good job and thanks for sharing!
Feb 20, 2009
I made it and packaged it in little bags and used them in gift baskets for Christmas. Everyone that received them asked me for the recipe. I used dried apples, raisins and cranberries. Yummy.
Sep 25, 2008
I really like this oatmeal. First batch I made with dried cranberries. Next time I will do blueberries, adding in some powdered coffee creamer for a "blueberries and cream" twist.
Sep 6, 2008
Hi sounds great from my house we love fruits & as you sayAdapt the ingredients to suit your taste," Vera
Sep 5, 2008
Too much sugar! Brown sugar, white sugar & dried fruits? This is sickeningly sweet. Cut the sugar in half, or replace with Splenda.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.