Cardamom and mace add a bit of unusual spicy flavor to this homemade applesauce. This dish is a wonderful way to make use of autumn's apple bounty. —Janet Thomas, McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 pounds tart apples (about 18 medium), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; discard the cinnamon stick. Mash the apples to desired consistency. Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 113 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.
Dec 25, 2010
Yummy! I used 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon instead of the stick & allspice instead of mace.~ Theresa
Dec 2, 2010
This is by far the best applesauce I've ever had. I make extra every fall and freeze it so I can easily enjoy it all year long.