Flavorful Southwestern Chili
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Freeze option: Transfer cooled chili to freezer containers. Freeze up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator. Place in a saucepan; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 245 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 14, 2017
I have been making this for years it is awesome every time. I add a little sugar but it honestly doesent need it.
Jul 13, 2014
Very good. I added some oregano and pepper to taste.
Oct 16, 2010
I loved the recipe...but I omitted the corn and added a can of rotel red and green chilies in a can and omitted the 4oz can of green chilies. I also garnished the bowls with cheese and tortilla chips.
Dec 3, 2008
wonderful recipe. Very yummy!!! The whole family loves it, even my toddler.