Southwest Chicken Chili
Chicken thighs are a nice change-of-pace in this easy chili. I also add a smoked ham hock and fresh cilantro to add flavor and keep the dish interesting. —Phyllils Beatty, Chandler, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the ham hock, beans, broth, chilies, onion and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until ham is tender.
- Remove ham bone. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone; discard bone. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to slow cooker. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 343 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 735mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Southwest White Chicken Chilli in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2008