Southwestern Beef Burritos
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 8 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- Diced tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, shredded lettuce and/or guacamole, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meat in oil; drain. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the enchilada sauce, tomatoes, chilies, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine flour and water; add to beef mixture, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Warm tortillas; spoon 1/2 cup filling, off center, on each one. Fold sides and bottom of tortilla over filling, then roll up. Spoon a little more filling over top of burritos. Serve immediately. Garnish with tomatoes, olives, cheese, sour cream, onions, lettuce and/or guacamole if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 446 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 34g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 9, 2015
Very delicious! These enchiladas had wonderful, filling flavor. In order to make them for a weeknight meal I skipped the browning step and put the meat and enchilada sauce into a crock pot to simmer on low while I was at work. I also assembled the enchiladas into a 9 x 13 pan, added shredded cheese to the top and baked at 375 for about 30 minutes. My family loved this dinner.
Dec 13, 2014
Nov 10, 2009
The burritos were great. The most time consuming part was cutting up the meat. My children gobbled it up. It's a keeper.