Southwestern Beef Tortillas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 tablespoon juice from pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Place roast and water in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with 2 forks. Skim fat from cooking juices; set aside 1/2 cup. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the tomatoes, green pepper, onion, garlic and bay leaf in oil over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the ketchup, jalapeno slices and juice, vinegar, salt, garlic salt and reserved cooking juices. Bring to a boil. Stir in shredded beef; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Serve on tortillas.
Nutrition Facts1 filled tortilla: 425 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1135mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Oct 3, 2013
A lot of work for a slow cooker recipe. I don't think it should be catagorized as slow cooker
Oct 24, 2011
The recipe was good but it need more seasonings and flavor.
Jul 31, 2011
This recipe was a huge hit! Very flavorful and makes a large batch. I also seasoned it with about 1/2 packet of taco seasoning and it was awesome.
Mar 17, 2011
I added 3 Tablespoons of Cumin when cooking down the tomato mixture, it was great!
Mar 10, 2011
We used a neck roast instead but this was excellent! Would be great on a bun also.