Southwestern Beef Tortillas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 tablespoon juice from pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Place roast and water in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices; set aside 1/2 cup. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the tomatoes, green pepper, onion, garlic and bay leaf in oil over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the ketchup, jalapeno slices and juice, vinegar, salt, garlic salt and reserved cooking juices. Bring to a boil. Stir in shredded beef; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Serve on tortillas.
Nutrition Facts1 filled tortilla: 425 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1135mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 3, 2013
A lot of work for a slow cooker recipe. I don't think it should be catagorized as slow cooker
Oct 24, 2011
The recipe was good but it need more seasonings and flavor.
Jul 31, 2011
This recipe was a huge hit! Very flavorful and makes a large batch. I also seasoned it with about 1/2 packet of taco seasoning and it was awesome.
Mar 17, 2011
I added 3 Tablespoons of Cumin when cooking down the tomato mixture, it was great!
Mar 10, 2011
We used a neck roast instead but this was excellent! Would be great on a bun also.