Southwestern Bean Patties
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and red pepper in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a large bowl, combine the refried beans, bread crumbs, chilies, cilantro, cumin, pepper and onion mixture; mix well. Shape into six patties; coat in cornmeal.
- In the same skillet, cook patties in batches in remaining oil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Place patties on bun bottoms (save bun tops for another use). Top each with 4 teaspoons of guacamole and 4 teaspoons of salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 312 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 801mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 9, 2018
Made these for dinner tonight. Added a bit more breadcrumbs (maybe a full cup) to help stiffen the patties just a bit more. Didn’t use nearly the amount of cornmeal as specified for coating.Cooked burgers are a little softer than meat-based ones, but our eat-eater did have his (2) on a full bun.We will absolutely use this recipe again. Very tasty.