Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 475°. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in beans, chilies, oregano, cumin and salt. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through 3-4 minutes.
- Brush one side of each tortilla with butter. Spoon 1/2 cup of the meat mixture over half of unbuttered side. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese; fold in half.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet; sprinkle with paprika. Bake until crisp and golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Cut each quesadilla into 3 wedges.
Beef Quesadillas Tips
Can you make beef quesadillas in a skillet?Quesadillas will turn out nicely golden brown whether you use a cast iron or nonstick skillet—the choice is yours! Just be sure you use a skillet that can completely fit the circumference of the tortilla.
What other kinds of cheese can you use to make beef quesadillas?In addition to the Mexican cheese blend, you can also use Oaxaca, Chihuahua, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella cheese—or a combination of any of these. All of these cheeses are softer in texture and melt smoothly, which is exactly what you want for a beef quesadilla.
What can you serve with beef quesadillas?Serve your quesadillas with shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, chopped tomatoes, and sour cream for topping and dipping. Or pair with a side of Spanish rice or this Mexican street corn bake.
—Mark Neufang, Taste of Home Culinary Assistant
3 wedges: 545 calories, 32g fat (14g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 924mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.